2023-24 Season Information
STMAYHA Mite/8U Program provides hockey for boys and girls ages 4 to 9. Players must be 4 by June 1, 2023.
Boys (Mites) and girls (8U) will play separate from each other, however their level structure will be similar.
We have four levels of play within the Mite/8U program and try to keep kids with their age group as much as possible, but will make adjustments in order to best place players with others at a similar skill level.
- Gold (boys and girls) – typically last year players and advanced skill level
- Blue (boys and girls) – typically last year and third year players and intermediate level
- Silver (boys) – typically second year players and new older players
- Junior Knights/Junior Hawks – typically first year players and young return players
All primary ice time is located at the STMA Ice Arena, with occasional ice time located at Moose Sherritt Ice Arena in Monticello.
The first official weekend of the Mite/8U season will begin mid-October. The season runs through the last week of February or first week of March depending on calendar year.
During the first two weeks of the season returning skaters are evaluated. Skaters will be placed in their skill level group for the season following evaluations.
- Gold/Blue/Silver teams formed Mid November
- Junior Knights/Hawks teams formed by Early December
- Teams will be posted on the website and communicated via email from the Mite Coordinator
- The number of teams at each level will be based on player registration numbers
All skaters receive team jersey and socks after teams are formed that they keep at the end of the season.
Parent Meeting Info
Check back later for information for the 2023-24 season.
Games & Practices
Early in the season the on-ice focus for all levels will be solely on skill development through practice. As the season progresses, we will move to one hour per weekend of practice ice and one hour per weekend of scrimmage ice. Games will not begin until December, with the exception of the Gold level.
Practices will follow the USA Hockey Age Specific Practice Plans & Guidelines (ADM)
- Skills Stations
- Small Area Games
- Always Moving
- Scrimmages will be primarily half-ice
- Junior level will be cross-ice
- Gold level will play full-ice games per MN Hockey Guidelines after January 15th
- Gold and Blue levels will play some games/scrimmages against other associations, however most of the focus will be in house development
The Mite/8U regular season schedule is typically one hour of ice each Saturday and Sunday between 7 a.m. -12:30 p.m. at the STMA Arena.
- Level ice times will be scheduled on a rotation each month, so morning time slots are distributed evenly across teams
- 8U teams may have ice at the Moose Sherritt Ice Arena in Monticello throughout the season
- Gold and Blue levels may have additional skills practice during the week at the STMA Arena (45 minutes)
Tournaments & Jamborees
We expect to play jamborees at the Mite/8U level this season
Gold - Three Events
Blue/Silver - Two events
Junior Knights/Junior Hawks - One event
Cost & Volunteer Requirements
All first year Mite/8U Players are FREE this season!
All Returning Mite Players = $350
Additional cost based on placement level:
- Silver Level = TBD
- Blue Level = TBD
- Gold Level = TBD
Make sure to read our volunteer requirements before registration, including a buyout option. Those can be found in the Parent section under the Resources tab.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can play hockey?
Boys and girls ages 5 (by June 1, 2023) and older. You must live in the boundaries of the STMA School District, or attend the STMA School District, to play STMAYHA Hockey.
When do they play?
The season runs from October through March. The schedules for hockey are different every week. There is no set schedule.
When do we get the schedule?
Schedules generally come out every 2-3 weeks. Games and tournaments are known ahead of time.
Do you provide equipment?
Unfortunately, we no longer provide equipment. Hat Trick Hockey located in the STMA Arena offers periodic first year skaters specials and equipment fitting services.
What if we don't pay?
Skaters will be removed from the ice until payment is made.
What if my child decides against participating?
STMAYHA will offer a refund minus any ice hours used.
2023-24 MITE (BOYS)
Registration closes Oct. 1, 2023Register
2023-24 8U (Girls)
Registration closes Oct. 1, 2023
*NWC RiverHawks from other home associations must register here as well, as we are the host association for team rosters and scheduling. (There is no charge with us, however we do cross reference your registration with your home association.)Register