2021-2022 Volunteer Information
STMAYHA relies upon its volunteers to support a quality hockey program for all skaters. We are run by volunteer roles that are fulfilled by any member that has a passion for the program and an interest in giving our kids a great experience. We have many roles that can support the Association - from Board positions to special committees - all of which are filled with parents or working professionals like yourself. Volunteer roles can account for your annual volunteer shifts (previously called DIBS) responsibility.
Volunteer hours are tracked on registration year. Our volunteer year runs from May 1, 2021 through April 30, 2022.
Volunteer Hour Requirements
Required volunteer hours coming soon.
It is your responsibility to seek volunteer opportunities or select the buyout option described below which is only available at the time of registration.
The hockey volunteer season runs May 1, 2021 through April 30, 2022
Each family is required to fulfill the required hours or have the option to buyout their volunteer hours.
Buyout is $500 per skater or a max of $1,000 per family which must be selected at the time of registration.
Please keep in mind that the goal of the Volunteer Policy is to distribute the huge workload among all of the STMAYHA families and is not intended as a fundraiser.
Individual checks must be written for each skater. Cannot combine two or more skater on one check.
1 skater: $500
2 skaters: $1,000
3 skaters: $333
4 skaters: $250
$1,000 maximum per family
Penalties for No Shows
When you are scheduled for a shift and you are a no show, the volunteer coordinator will apply a "no show" penalty.
- 1st Offense- $25.00 added to ice bill
- 2nd Offense- $50.00 added to ice bill
- 3rd Offense- Forfeit of Volunteer deposit
Skaters with Active Military Parent/Guardian
Skaters with active Military Parent(s) / Guardian(s) that are currently deployed will have volunteer hours waived.
Types of Volunteering
1. Hockey Volunteer Hours
These hours support the STMAYHA benefiting all players throughout our program. These can be applied to your family's volunteer requirement
There are numerous opportunities posted throughout the season on the volunteer page of our website which can be found under the “Volunteer” tab. Those opportunities include, but are not limited to tryout support, tournament support, learn to skate support etc. This year over 5000 hours of volunteer time will be posted to the volunteer site.
In addition, there are exempt positions available that will allow an individual to support STMAYHA throughout the year. Exempt roles include but are not limited to, Coaches, Team Managers, Board Members and Committees for group or various events, etc.
Family volunteer requirements for the 2021-2022 season:
- 1st Year Mite Families: 2 hours of a gambling shift or tournament shift
- Returning Families with 1 Skater: 6 hockey hours + 4 gambling hours
- Returning Families with Multiple Skaters: 12 hockey hours + 4 gambling hours
All hours can be gambling hours if desired and shifts are available year round.
2. Gambling Volunteer Opportunities
These hours support the STMAYHA , benefiting all players within our program by lowering the cost of hockey through Charitable Gambling contributions.
Gambling family requirements for the 2021-2022 season:
- 1st Year Mite families: 2 hours of a gambling shift or tournament shift
- All other returning families: 4 gambling hours for each family regardless of the number of skaters.
Gambling Volunteer Opportunities are posted throughout the fiscal year on the volunteer page of our STMAYHA website. These opportunities include, but are not limited to, assisting staff during Bingo and Meat Raffle events. For the current fiscal year, 5/1/21-4/30/22, over 800 hours of volunteer opportunities for Charitable Gambling will be posted to the volunteer page.
- As a volunteer, you are a representative in our community of the Association. Be kind, be courteous, friendly and respectful.
- All Code of Conduct items as per listed below and referenced in these guidelines also applies to all gambling shifts.
- All Volunteer House - “No Show” as per listed below and referenced in these guidelines also applies to all gambling shifts. In addition:
- Back-to-back shift volunteering is not allowed. Example (Meat Raffle at 5 and then Bingo at 7)
- Volunteers may at times be responsible for handling cash at gambling events; any lost cash is to be replenished by the volunteer at the end of their shift.
3. Team Volunteering, does not count towards required volunteer hours
Every family is expected to participate in team specific volunteering that supports their player’s team, as an active, supportive part of the team community – therefore, these do not apply to your family volunteer requirements as outlined above.
Examples of supporting the team are: Running the clock, scorekeeping or working the penalty box during your child’s team games, locker room monitor duties, making door signs and other team specific activities.
Coach & Team Manager Volunteers
If you are a coach and want to receive volunteer hours, you will need :
- To be a rostered coach
- A completed background check
- Completed Safesport
- To be current on CEP
Travel Coaches & Team Managers: We will credit volunteer hours for a maximum of 4 rostered coaches per team. Travel coaches will receive 8 hours of credit for all of the skaters in their family.
Rostered travel coaches and one team manager for each team are not required to complete a gambling shift or a tournament shift. All 8 volunteer hours will be credited for all of their skaters within the association.
Mite Coaches & Team Managers: We will credit volunteer hours towards a maximum of 4 rostered coaches per team. Mite coaches will receive credit for all hours ONLY for the child they are coaching. If you are a coach on more than one team, you will receive hours for additional children, but only if you are rostered on all teams.
Rostered mite coaches and one mite team manager for each mite team will not be required to complete a gambling shift or a tournament shift for the mite skater they are coaching or managing. All 8 volunteer hours will be credited for one of their mite skaters. If you have other skaters in the association, the 8 volunteer hours including 3 gambling shift or tournament shift hours will be required.
If you have any questions, please feel free to the Volunteer Coordinator.
Volunteer Background Checks
All Volunteers Must have Background Checks
ALL volunteers for the upcoming season will need to complete a Background Check. This means all coaches, team managers, locker room attendants, parents working the bench, the clock and the penalty box. If you plan to do any one of these things during the season please complete the background check by following this link:
Login with your user name and password (this is the same info you enter to register your skater)
You will be asked for Association - enter STMA and you will also be asked for District - enter 5. Enter the remainder of the info. It is easy - it only takes a few minutes.
End of Season - Insignificant Hours:
The association will cash your check, at the end of the season, for any incomplete volunteer hours. If you do not complete your volunteer hours and your check doesn’t clear, you will NOT be allowed to register your player(s) for the upcoming season.
On occasion, there are families that are experiencing a hardship and are unable to fulfill their volunteer hour commitment. If you are concerned about fulfilling your volunteer hours, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator, Ashlie LeGrande, at email@example.com or 612-298-3542.
Code of Conduct:
STMAYHA is a non-profit, volunteer organization which promotes the sport of hockey. One of our goals is to provide a safe and fun environment; we expect the same from all of our participants including but not limited to parents, players, coaches and volunteers.
- Always conduct yourself in a manner that positively reflects on all participants, other parents/ guardians and the STMA Youth Hockey Association.
- While volunteering at the rink, a partnered site in the Charitable Gambling Space, you are representing STMA Youth Hockey Association.
- Respect the property of the STMAYHA, the City of Albertville and the gambling partners property. I will take steps to prevent theft or damage whenever possible.
- STMAYHA has a zero-tolerance rule for drinking on volunteer shifts. If you are caught drinking while on shift, you will be asked to leave and will forfeit volunteer hours and check will be cashed. **This includes both hockey volunteer shift and gambling volunteer shifts.