Welcome to the SMTA/RiverHawk Mite/8U Hockey Page. On the following pages you will be able to complete the registration process for all players. This registration will allow you to provide contact information, sign consents and submit payment. Please read through each page carefully to ensure that all information is provided accurately. To complete registration through our secure site, please have your Visa, MasterCard, Discover or checking account information available. Upon completion of registration, a charge from STMA Youth Hockey will appear on your account. Offline payment options are also available – further offline payment details are outlined on the receipt page.
STMA mite hockey provides programs for boys and girls ages 5 to 9. Players must be 5 by June 1, 2021.
Girls (8U) and boys (Mites) will play separate from each other, however their level structure will be similar.
We have 5 levels of play within the Mite/8U program and try to keep kids with their age group as much as possible, but will make adjustments in order to best place players with others at a similar skill level.
- Gold – typically last year Mite/8U players and most advanced skill level
- Blue – typically third year players
- Silver – typically second year players
- Copper (Boys only) – typically older first year players and younger second year players
- Bronze – typically first year players and lowest skill level
The first official weekend of the Mite/8U season will be end of October, with exact dates coming in the near future.
Evaluations schedule TBD for 2021-2022
- Skaters will be evaluated on a series of drills and scrimmages
- Following the evaluations, skaters will be placed in their skill level group for the season
- Gold/Blue/Silver teams formed by November 13th
- Bronze/Copper teams formed by December 4th
- Teams will be posted on the STMAYHA Website and communicated via email from the Mite Coordinator
- The number of teams at each level will be based on player registration numbers
All primary ice time is located at the STMA Ice Arena, with occasional ice time located at the Monticello, Moose Sherritt Ice Arena.
The Mite/8U regular season schedule is typically 1 hour of ice each Saturday and Sunday between 7:30am-12:30pm @ STMA Arena.
- No ICE Thanksgiving Weekend
- No ICE December 23rd - 27
- Level ice times will be scheduled on a rotation each month, so morning time slots are distributed evenly across teams
- 8U teams may have ice at the Monticello Ice Arena periodically throughout the season
- Starting 2nd week of November going through February, both Gold and Blue levels will have 1 hour of skills practice each Wednesday night @ STMA rink
Early in the season the on-ice focus for all levels will be solely on skill development through practice. As the season progresses, we will move to 1 hour per weekend of practice ice and 1 hour per weekend of scrimmage ice
Practices will follow the USA Hockey Age Specific Practice Plans & guidelines (ADM)
- Skills Stations
- Small area games
- Always Moving
- Scrimmages will be primarily half-ice
- Bronze level will be cross-ice
- Gold level will play up to 6 full-ice games after January 1st
- Gold and Blue levels will play some games/scrimmages against other associations
All skaters receive team jersey & socks that they keep at the end of the season.
All 1st Year Mite/8U Players are FREE this season!
All Returning Mite Players = $350
Additional Cost based on Placement Level
- Bronze = $0
- Silver Level = $40
- Blue Level = $85
- Gold Level = $125
Tournaments & Jamborees
We expect to play jamborees at the Mite/8U level this season
Gold - plan to participate in 3 events
Blue/Silver - plan to participate in 2 events
Bronze - plan to participate in 1 event
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can play hockey?
Boys and girls ages 5 (by June 1, 2021) and older. You must live in the boundaries of the STMA School District, or attend the STMA School District, to play STMA Hockey.
When do they play?
The season runs from October through March.
The schedules for hockey are different every week. There is no set schedule. Mites (9 and under) play in-house and traveling players play around the north and west metro along with tournaments around the state. There is no in-house program for 9 and above.
When do we get the schedule?
Schedules generally come out every 2-3 weeks. Games and tournaments are known ahead of time.
Do you provide equipment?
Unfortunately we no longer provide equipment.
What if we don't pay?
Skaters will be removed from the ice until payment is made.
What if my child decides against participating?
STMAYHA will offer a refund minus any ice hours used.
Check Back Later...
We are not currently accepting registrations for this program.