2021-2022 Season Information
STMAYHA Mite hockey provides programs for boys and girls ages 5 to 9. Players must be 5 by June 1, 2021.
Boys (Mites) and girls (8U) will play separate from each other, however their level structure will be similar.
We have four (4) levels of play within the Mite/8U program and try to keep kids with their age group as much as possible, but will make adjustments in order to best place players with others at a similar skill level.
- Gold – typically last year Mite/8U players and most advanced skill level
- Blue – typically third year players
- Silver – typically second year players
- Bronze – typically first year players and lowest skill level
The first official weekend of the Mite/8U season will be end of October, with exact dates coming in the near future.
Evaluations schedule TBD for 2021-2022
- Skaters will be evaluated on a series of drills and scrimmages
- Following the evaluations, skaters will be placed in their skill level group for the season
- Gold/Blue/Silver teams formed Mid November
- Bronze teams formed by Early December
- Teams will be posted on the STMAYHA Website and communicated via email from the Mite Coordinator
- The number of teams at each level will be based on player registration numbers
All primary ice time is located at the STMA Ice Arena, with occasional ice time located at the Monticello, Moose Sherritt Ice Arena.
All skaters receive team jersey and socks that they keep at the end of the season.
After teams are formed, mite team managers will work with each of their teams to print last names on jerseys for those who are interested. This is optional and not required at the mite level.
Games & Practices
Early in the season the on-ice focus for all levels will be solely on skill development through practice. As the season progresses, we will move to one (1) hour per weekend of practice ice and one (1) hour per weekend of scrimmage ice
Practices will follow the USA Hockey Age Specific Practice Plans & Guidelines (ADM)
- Skills Stations
- Small Area Games
- Always Moving
- Scrimmages will be primarily half-ice
- Bronze level will be cross-ice
- Gold level will play up to six (6) full-ice games after January 1st
- Gold and Blue levels will play some games/scrimmages against other associations
The Mite/8U regular season schedule is typically one (1) hour of ice each Saturday and Sunday between 7 a.m. -12:30 p.m. at the STMA Arena.
- Level ice times will be scheduled on a rotation each month, so morning time slots are distributed evenly across teams
- 8U teams may have ice at the Monticello Ice Arena periodically throughout the season
- Starting 2nd week of November going through February, both Gold and Blue levels will have one (1) hour of skills practice each Wednesday night at the STMA rink
Tournaments & Jamborees
We expect to play jamborees at the Mite/8U level this season
Gold - Three (3) Events
Blue/Silver - Two (2) events
Bronze - One (1) event
Cost & Volunteer Requirements
All 1st Year Mite/8U Players are FREE this season!
All Returning Mite Players = $350
Additional cost based on placement level:
- Bronze = None
- Silver Level = $40
- Blue Level = $85
- Gold Level = $125
Make sure to read our volunteer requirements before registration, including a buyout option. Those can be found in the Parent section under the Resources tab on our website.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can play hockey?
Boys and girls ages 5 (by June 1, 2021) and older. You must live in the boundaries of the STMA School District, or attend the STMA School District, to play STMA Hockey.
When do they play?
The season runs from October through March.
The schedules for hockey are different every week. There is no set schedule. Mites (9 and under) play in-house and traveling players play around the north and west metro along with tournaments around the state. There is no in-house program for 9 and above.
When do we get the schedule?
Schedules generally come out every 2-3 weeks. Games and tournaments are known ahead of time.
Do you provide equipment?
Unfortunately, we no longer provide equipment.
What if we don't pay?
Skaters will be removed from the ice until payment is made.
What if my child decides against participating?
STMAYHA will offer a refund minus any ice hours used.
2021-2022 STMAYHA Mite hockey provides programs for boys and girls ages 5 to 9. Players must be 5 by June 1, 2021.Register