2022-23 New & Returning Coaches
USA Hockey Requirements
- Register as a member of USA Hockey ($46 plus any affiliate fees if applicable). Click here for more information.
- Complete the background screening ($30). Click here.
- Complete SafeSport Training. (Required every year and cannot be added to a roster until completed). Click here for more information.
- Complete the online age-specific module(s) for the age level of play you are coaching. ($10 per module and only needs to be completed once per age level. Must be completed PRIOR to participating in any team activities and cannot be added to a roster until completed) Click here to register for the modules.
- Find, register and attend the required certification clinic ($55). You can only attend one clinic per season and all coaches start at Level 1. You can take clinics from April 1-Dec. 31 each season. Click here to locate a clinic.
- Coaching Education Program Certification Clinic Requirements (Must be completed by Dec. 31, 2022)
*Once you have a valid USA Hockey Registration number, completed Background Screening (if required), SafeSport Training, and Age Specific Modules, SEND ALL INFO to email@example.com also include the date of your Certification class if you have not taken it at that time.
CEP Classes are All Online
For all of you who plan on coaching this season, you may complete any virtual CEP session from any location. Coaches should complete the next level CEP class - not apply for the temporary card. For further info, visit the USA Hockey Coaches Clinic website: https://www.usahockey.com/coachingclinics
Registration for CEP classes
Be consistent when registering in the system and use the same name as previously used for CEP classes ( i.e, if you previously registered under “Joe Smith” do not use “Joseph Smith”…be consistent). There are currently offerings for Levels 1 through 4. More will be added in the future as the need arises, but please try to get signed up as soon as possible so you are assured a place in a class.
SafeSport, Background Screening, and Coaching Module requirements still apply.
MN Background Screening: https://www.minnesotahockey.org/page/show/96281-screening
MN Hockey Coach Concussion Certification
Each coach must train to concussion requirements per their applicable CEP class and age specific online modules, plus knowledge of MN Hockey Concussion Management Protocol and Requirements. There is also a link to a concussion quiz from the Centers of Disease Control (CDC) that is a great overview for identifying and managing concussions. Each coach will need to read and sign a Coach Concussion Certification form and submit to the association.
Online Age-Specific Training Modules
MUST be completed for the level you wish to coach BEFORE USA Hockey will allow placement as a coach on a roster.
Current SafeSport Training
MUST be complete BEFORE USA Hockey will allow placement as a coach on a roster. For those coaches in need of a refresher, you should have already received an email from USA Hockey with an invitation to re-certify.
Is my Background Screen still good from last year?
To check your Background Screen status, go to this USA Hockey an click the button that says, "Background Screen Status."
How long does it take to get Background Screening results?
Early before the season starts it typically takes two to three days, Late September into October it could take as long as two weeks.
Do I need to retake my Safesport training?
Yes! This needs to be done every year.
Can I do the CEP training Virtually (online)?
Yes these can still be completed online this season (see above)
Will I get reimbursed for the costs of coaching?
STMAYHA will reimburse the following:
- USA Hockey Registration fee
- USA Hockey Online age-specific module fee
- USA Hockey Coaches Education Certification Clinic fee